October 5, 2013

gem_make.out Error while installing Gem in Windows

Working in Ruby in Windows machine......

Whenever I install few gems in my local system.... I struggled a lot with gem_make.out error...

I searched for solution in web... I came across lots of finding... which helped me a lot... I am providing you best way to resolve this issue and make it work... 


gem install ruby-debug
Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing ruby-debug:
        ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
 
C:/Ruby187/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
creating Makefile
 
make
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Gem files will remain installed in C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/linecache-0.43 for inspection.
Results logged to C:/Ruby187/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/linecache-0.43/ext/gem_make.out

How to resolve this.....

> Install DevKit in windows machine....
> Extract it into C:\DevKit
> open a command prompt in C:\DevKit and run 
ruby dk.rb init
ruby dk.rb install

Try to install the gem again.... It will work.....
-----------

Sometimes After installing the DevKit I faced the same issue again..... 
So I tried to solve this.... 

Solution:
Goto your command prompt
Look for which ruby
Goto the installed folder package in ruby....
Remove or Rename the 'GEMS' folder in the ruby package.
In command prompt give GEM LIST command... It will show empty gem list....
So we removed all the installed GEMS... Its time to install the gem files again... Now it will work.... 
Enjoy installing the ruby gems in WINDOWS



No comments:

Post a Comment